Sunday, August 8, 2010

Jack-or-Jill-in-the-Pulpit?

My Photo of the Day:



I make no pretenses about my knowledge of native plants or wild flowers, but last week I discovered this clump of berries and had to find out why I had never seen anything like it before. My first thought was "Is this Jack or what?" For years now a few leaves of some transplanted Jack-in-the-Pulpit plants (an herbaceous perennial with many alternate names) have been growing under the trees in the hosta garden at Aunt V's. This year we had several flowering jacks which I photographed for the blog in May.

Well, I have just learned that this plant is unisexual and as it matures it may produce more female than male flowers, and if it is pollinated, will produce these green berries which will ripen to bright red in late summer. I also learned that this is another toxic plant and to harvest the seeds from the ripe berries requires wearing gloves. Also, not that you were even considering it, but do not eat this plant or the corms from which it grows. The oxalic acid will burn your mouth, possibly kill you if you ingest a sufficient quantity, or perhaps just cause infertility. I don't want to bore you with too much detail, but of course, lots more information is readily available with a google search. But yet, an interesting question posed on one site . . .

      Is this Jack or Jill-in-the-Pulpit?

(Apparently under the right circumstances Jill will become Jack again)!

No comments:

Post a Comment