Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Color Purple - in the Vegetable Garden

Eat your colors! we are told--the brighter the better. I don't think purple is the brightest or best, but it surely is an intriguing color in the garden. My aunt likes to grow purple beans. While she was in Chicago last week I pilfered a few meals of purple beans. The blossoms on the beans are also a deeper color than on the green beans:



Well, I ate my colors last week. However, unless you eat the purple beans raw you miss the color--they turn green when cooked!


This red cabbage has been tasted already by a few small creatures. It seems doubtful whether it will still form a head if it looks like this in mid-July.


 I found a most beautiful eggplant in cousin D's garden. It almost has the shape of a dolphin and it really was shiny and almost black. I didn't edit it that much. I rubbed  it up a trifle before the photo!

Solanum esculentum 'Ichiban'
Cousin D. also has lots of basil. How do you use the purple? Purple pesto?


Erica's eggplant looked ready to eat, also. Her first eggplant was a more usual shape.




I can't say that I have ever noticed an eggplant flower before! Of course, it is purple, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment