Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blooming for Easter - Amaryllis


Opening up for Easter this year was this old saved-in-the-pot bulb which is popular at Christmas time. I never know when my indoor plants will bloom. They are on their own schedule and sometimes thrive on neglect. Taller this year, and double-bloomed, my "Easter" Amaryllis was welcomed--substituting for my usual Easter lily. One could say that the red is for the Good Friday Christ on the cross and the white is for the risen Lord of Easter Sunday. This bulb was buried a little longer than Jesus Christ. I believe the bulb was in the ground of my indoor pot for nearly a year since it last produced a bloom.


I need to learn how to continue to grow this plant. When does it need repotting? I have been lucky so far, not really knowing what it needed in dormancy. I don't have a greenhouse. Saving plants and bulbs is a bit of a pain. But how can one just throw something this beautiful into the compost bin? I believe it was given to me by my sister-in-law R. I love the challenge of nurturing a plant to health and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment