Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dwarf Lilac in April

Dwarf Korean Lilac about to bloom in April

Today I checked on the dwarf lilacs at church. Although lilacs have been blooming for weeks, the dwarf Korean lilacs bloom later--but not in late April! It is cool this week, but they will soon pop into full bloom, given a few warmer days.

I have a feeling that I'm sounding like a broken record this year, constantly referencing the early blooms in West Michigan...

 I am always amazed at the quantity of blooms on this lilac, one of a pair. I trim and deadhead the lilacs every spring, when they have finished blooming. This potted shrub is fertilized, but  also remains confined to a modest container. Often it gets neglected on hot summer days. It requires hand watering, receiving no rain from April through October, the season it remains under the overhang.

 Frank will be happy with it if he is able to catch a glimpse of it this week--how could one expect any more exuberance from a plant? Can we say "irrational exuberance?"

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 Dwarf Korean Lilacs, one as a shrub, and one grafted onto a standard tree form. They both grew like crazy this year in size and foliage, but smaller blooms and didn't last long because of the intense heat. We too, have had crazy weather here in Ontario, Canada, which has really affected all the plants. We had an extremely mild winter and then temps. of 30 Celcius in May! All the plants seem to be a month ahead of schedule, and I'm worried that by August, my garden will be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things are still ahead of schedule. With temps in the upper 90's expected again this week I'm worried plants will be dead by August! I am watering like crazy trying to keep the stuff I have responsibility for alive.

      Delete