Saturday, March 31, 2012

Today in My Yard

I can't believe it is still March! Spring has sprung way too early this year! I was gone for a week and totally missed some blooms. The petals on the early Kaufmanniana tulips have mostly dropped, having faded fast (I'm sure) on that day last week which reached a record-setting 87 degrees, in the heat wave that the jet stream, which lingered across much of the United States, delivered while I was (slightly cooler!) in Florida.


The old-fashioned bleeding hearts are waiting to open fully now that the weather has cooled to a more normal March temperature:


Another more happy early bloomer is this primula:


The hosta will be very vulnerable to an April frost. I have too many to easily cover, so I'm hoping for warmer weather to continue:


This autumn joy sedum has been growing fast as well:


The tulips, popping out of this vinca vine bed, are very tall for March. A few have opened but it is too cold for them today. They open almost immediately when brought inside.


This variegated hydrangea has never been protected and never had growth on its old wood. I will cover this one if we have frost and hope for my first bloom ever:


Last year the early tulips were enjoying an April blanket of snow in the third week of April. Now they have already bloomed and dropped dead by March 31! Here are two photos from 2011:

Kaufmanniana 'Heart's Delight" tulips on April 17, 2011

2 comments:

  1. amazing the difference from one year to the next! your yard looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Of course, I only show the pretty parts--lots of spring clean up awaits!

    ReplyDelete