Monday, March 12, 2012

Geraniums - Budding in the Bag


Last October we pulled out the several dozen geraniums at the church garden while they were still in full bloom. I tossed as many as I could fit into two brown yard refuse bags. They were in the garage until Thanksgiving and then in a cool basement room. When I checked last week, about half of the geraniums had sprouted in the sealed bag, as in the above photo.


After one week in the sun room, the sprouts had turned green and grown. One plant even had a tiny bloom. I have tried this before with limited success and always marvel at the miraculous power of the plant to regenerate. If I recall correctly, I read that this only works with geraniums grown from seed.

Now--will I be able to keep them alive to thrive until May 15 or so, when they can be moved permanently outdoors?

Closeup of one week out-of-the-bag growth
Closeup of tiny bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment