Saturday, October 2, 2010

Whimsy in the Garden


Adding a touch of whimsy to the landscape seems to be a delight to many gardeners and an obsession with others. The flower bed above is unusual in that it is stand-alone, large and lovely. I have seen many re-purposed daybeds pictured in country garden magazines that are not nearly so appealing as this one. I found this photo with a google search, but I wish I knew more about it.

And yet, it is a good example of whimsy in garden decor. Whimsical can be capricious, crazy, freakish, fanciful, harebrained, abnormal and even deviant; unexpected, surprising, unpredictable or delightful are other possibilities that I like.

I was invited to see a yard filled with whimsy last week. It had many hundreds of objects and plants--more than I was able to absorb. I discreetly snapped a few photos without asking. Here is a small sample of an unusual collection of garden art:








 


The garden also included a small "cottage" complete with chandelier and skylights, safely housing many collected treasures and providing a cozy spot to read or sip wine. My thought was mostly about the work of keeping all the stuff dusted--what a labor of love that must be! The owners enjoy searching for new objects to display and sometimes have a sale of their own. At least the cottage is safe from the elements. Many of the vases and the table with the doll heads have to be taken in during the wind storms.





Sometimes whimsy just happens; sometimes it is planned with passionate precision. Does your garden include a bit of whimsy?

No comments:

Post a Comment