Friday, October 8, 2010

Ornamental Grass

 Fall is the time for happy grass--and I don't mean anything illegal. The lawns are de-stressing with the cooler weather and taking the time for some root development. The big ornamentals are fully plumed out and blowing in the breeze. My grasses are also in their full glory, although some of them get a bit floppy in my not-so-full-sun yard. I have zebra, porcupine, dwarf fountain, Karl Foerster feather reed and a few dug up from here and there that I haven't identified. I don't care so much about learning all the names of the grasses--I can't seem to keep them straight.

Dwarf fountain grass and sedum (stonecrop) make a nice pairing:

Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' and Sedum 'Autumn Joy' or Herbstfreude

If I have one caveat for the grasses, it is this: don't plant them (except maybe a super dwarf version of fountain grass called "little bunny") where you don't have room for something getting large and fat. I know from experience that some of the grasses become extremely difficult to dig up or divide. What I really enjoy is burning them down to the ground in February when a little snow is on the ground or at least when the soil is still frozen. (Don't try this at home.) It is probably against the city rules, but I plead ignorance. A dry grass going up in flames is exciting even for a non-pyro like me. I will post a video next year! On a dry day it takes about 20 seconds to completely turn a brown grass into a poof of black powder--way easier than cutting it down, even with a chain saw.

This red annual grass was showing deeper fall color at the "idea garden" last week:


The red grass in its fall landscape context:


Another nice grass:


This grass, hiding way in the back of my aunt's pond berm, looks like it is already in flames:


One more, affording some privacy off my deck, this big and floppy zebra:

No comments:

Post a Comment