Thursday, June 30, 2011

It's June - A Rainbow of Blooms

Blooms of the rainbow will be featured today, with as close as I can find to a ROY G BIV color scheme, without repeating  previous photos. Not all colors will be exactly like the usual depiction of the spectrum of colors, but I tried to go for bright. This was more challenging than I had imagined when I planned the post early in the month. I had no idea what flowers would be good choices for blue, indigo and violet and a green flower does not exist in my garden world!

My best entry for rainbow "R" is a red, red rose from the backyard of client P, fresh from a morning shower:


The lily is my pick for a bright Crayola orange. My first bloom opened on June 23. This photo of my asiatic lily patch was taken on June 29:


Yellow goes back to early June with Client P's striking columbine:


Green was the most challenging choice. All I came up with is an immature coneflower that will develop into some shade of reddish purple. I took the photo July 1. A day late and a color short. Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis) blooming chartreuse green was my other choice. Any suggestions?


Blue--the color of the skies and seas. Here are some blue pansies and blooming ajuga reptans, photographed by my small pond on June 1:


Indigo--the color of purple grapes, dark denim blue or my choice, (blue) false indigo--baptisia australis. This photo was taken from my backyard deck in the mid-morning sun, June 6.


Violet--the color of the recently-deceased Elizabeth Taylor's eyes?? My pick--a recently planted clematis at Aunt V that is blooming beautifully this year and is being coaxed to climb up the garage wall trellis. This photo was taken looking upwards toward the sky and with flash, to capture the inside of the flower "bell." The flash may have changed the flower from more of an indigo blue to what I am calling violet:

No comments:

Post a Comment