Thursday, June 9, 2011

Everything's Coming Up Roses!

Rose Photos Today










Success with roses can depend on a lot of factors--perhaps sometimes even neglect. I see beautiful blooming roses in neglected city yards--shrubs that have probably had no care in years. The abundant spring rains and sunshine have allowed nature's glory to naturally emerge with no chemicals and no special pruning. The roses pictured above were actually ones that I pruned a bit last year, not wanting to truncate some of the growing long canes too much on a few of the climbers that had nothing on which to climb that high, but cutting back the dead wood and some of the errant branches. The roses this year (I am no longer involved) have been tied back to the fence even more than last year to keep them in place and are bursting with blooms--many dozens of these blooms on some of the bushes. I'm not claiming more than a miniscule amount of credit for their success this year, but it seems to be another very good year for roses in Michigan.

 We have had three unseasonably hot days, in the 90's this past week, and the roses buds have exploded quickly into bright blooms all around town. Cooler weather is predicted, so hopefully we can enjoy the show for a few weeks. The peony show suffered last week--along with a lot of human beings--with the dreadfully hot and humid weather. I know I wilted, although I didn't turn brown or fall on the ground. 

Roses and peonies.....those old fashioned favorites never cease to amaze! I think my mother would be pleased that I am paying attention to all that beauty. She adored peonies, for sure--and she named me, Rosella!


Red roses with pink peony

No comments:

Post a Comment