Saturday, December 18, 2010

Flora in Florida

 

We are spending a week in Florida and even though it has been cold and even freezing overnight here in the Orlando area, we went to the ICE! sculpture show (see my other blog) and enjoyed a buffet lunch at The Palms, and strolled through the indoor gardens which were tropically warm and decorated thematically for Christmas. We sat "outside" at Villa de Flora for our lunch, surrounded by plantings, with a few koi in the pond and some small gators and turtles keeping company on a rock. Otherwise, I didn't see any bugs or creatures that would do damage to the perfect foliage and flowers of the gardens. I will include a few photographs, including the whimsical, the tropical and the seasonal.



Moss chairs
Perfect leaves
Lots of poinsettias
A find the bears activity for the youngsters
A tree of poinsettias


Poinsettias in a tree!

We ate lunch under the star (above, left)--it must be a magical place at night! Pictured here is a cinnamon tree (bark used for making the spice). I don't know where cinnamon trees grow but I think I have never seen one. I included it because I delighted myself with the thought that the cinnamon tree was, in a sense, seasonal-seasonal!