Saturday, November 27, 2010

Blooming for Thanksgiving


This azalea is on the countertop behind my kitchen sink where it gets some florescent light on the dark short days of late November. Read My Azalea Story below. The blooming plants in my house help to extend the season a little, as it is now completely bleak outdoors. No leaves, no snow on the ground--just a little green color remains in the lawn. Even the orange pumpkins have now been composted. But my azalea must think it's spring!

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'

Also blooming is this plectranthus, which I took inside before the first frost. It is a late season bloomer from zone 9b-11 that can be planted as an annual here in Michigan. This cultivar was developed in the 90's from a species in South Africa. It will tolerate temperatures to about 25  degrees F. It was just starting to show its colors in October when we had the first touches of frost. It is known to respond to the shortening days of fall with these delicate lavender blooms.


One more sun room bloomer is this Christmas Cactus that I received from my sister-in-law last December. It bloomed rather pathetically last Christmas and then tried to re-bloom, but this fall I doused it with rain water and time-released fertilizer and every tip is developing a flower bud. Here is a closeup of a blossom:



MY AZALEA STORY

On Mother's Day three years ago, Erica, likely in a last minute trip to the local supermarket to find something for Mom, found this twisted stem azalea in bloom. I had a previous experience with an azalea in the 90's that I promptly killed. I really wanted to honor Erica's gift by keeping this one alive inside the house, which is way more difficult than successfully growing one intended for planting outdoors.

As it has been growing larger in the original small plastic pot, the azalea has become very root-bound and cannot absorb much water; thus, it gets watered every day--maybe a few days have been missed here and there. Sometimes it enjoys a full soak in a pan of water for an hour or so and then it is good for two days. When I was gone for three days in September I wrote a sticky note to my husband with specific instructions for watering.

I also rather strategically nip off excess growth and old blossoms to promote a fuller habit.

A year ago this past July when we spent a week in downtown Chicago I had one of Marissa's friends babysit the plant at her house. It was starting to bloom then and she did a good job with it! 

A few months ago, with the heat and busyness of summer, I realized that the azalea was not looking as good as it could. I gave it a generous top dressing of fertilizer, trying to poke a few pellets into the mass of bound roots. I have been super diligent since then in my watering routine.

Every time I look at it, the azalea has developed a few more buds or blooms. As I write today, it is even more full and luscious than when I took the picture above. 

I don't treat all my plants with this kind of diligence! This plant has become my personal horticultural challenge, which I have enjoyed--with great success, if I do say so myself!
 
Triple blossom from one tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment