Saturday, May 29, 2010

Some Single Spring Specimens




It has been so hot this week that it feels like the dog days of summer are here.The spring flowers are fading fast and the weeds are growing like grass. Parts of town had a midweek deluge that drowned the new plantings and made all things green and tall. It is still May but it seems like all the good blooming must be almost over. I may stop taking pictures and find a lake to jump into.

Last week I dog-sat Lilly (almost a flower), and I felt a lot like Lilly looks in this picture! I used to think that the dog days had something to do with dog behavior in the heat, which I have learned, has nothing to do with the expression.


I have a few more shots to share before I jump into the lake. Here's a yellow flag iris that is keeping its feet cool in the pond:





And of course, the peonies were blooming last week, everything still a little ahead of schedule. If you look closely, the peony only looks this fresh because it just got out of the shower.
























Baptisia
looking cool
and white
against a
backdrop of
Ninebark 'Diablo'



















And here is a leaf big enough to be a dog's Sun Setter awning, the butterbur:

















Not labeled: Lupine, Allium

Dog Days: Dog Days is #5 on Merriam Webster onLine Top Ten Lists / Top Ten Words for Summer. Click here to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment