Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Sound of a Tree Falling in my Backyard

Yesterday's post paraphrased part of Garrison Keillor's famous Lake Wobegon phrase, substituting Michigan trees for "where all the women are strong." I was just finishing the post when I suddenly heard a familiar sound--cracking, crashing, thudding. This time the ground did not shake, as it did when a giant old weeping willow crashed (picture with child) in the early 90's and missed our house by inches (damaged the gutter) a few years after we moved in. This time is was our backyard neighbor's rotten old box elder tree and he may be responsible if insurance will cover it because it damaged his fence. I am not sure of the rules that apply here yet. Also, it did decapitate the top of one of our pine trees but that tree had not been doing so well, anyway. I will have to clean up my junk pile which I try to hide behind the tree (fallen sticks, rain barrels, wheel barrows, pots). Lesson learned: Be careful to not brag too much about Michigan trees or one will shortly fall down in your yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment