Thursday, April 22, 2010

Some April Flowers in my Yard


Kaufmanniana Tulip 'Heart's Delight'


Primula - Primrose


Hyacinth in Ivy Bed


Brunnera macrophylla and "stolen" ferns


 Tulipa

Dicentra spectabilis

Who does not love a bleeding heart? I have around 10 in my shady yard that have re-seeded here and there over the years. I have one white fringed bleeding heart and have tried some others, but this old standard is the only one that has thrived. These happy little blooms continue to delight me every spring. Soon to join them are the blue re-seeding forget-me-nots that were given to me by a friend on my 50th birthday. The Brunnera or Siberian bugloss blooms above look a lot like forget-me-nots but are not.

The very early Kaufmanniana tulips that I planted in the heart-shaped plot between my neighbor Lynn's yard and mine--half a heart in each yard--have "naturalized" somewhat in their third year of bloom. I will take a picture from my roof sometime (the shape is more visible) when all the plants are up and we have re-edged and mulched the plot. (I said I would not climb around on my roof any more after I turned 60 but who else can I trust up there? I always make sure someone is home when I am up there so that if I fall off they can pick up the pieces right away).

Lynn installed the pinkish striped rock and it sat alone for years until I planted "Heart's Delight" on either side of it. These tulips are notable for their short height, striped leaves and early water lily-like blooms. I read that they are native to Turkestan and I know that Kaufmanniana are available in other colors. They dropped their petals already last week, before the other tulips had begun to open. Last year I transplanted three "Dicentra spectabilis" behind the rock and they are still developing. It only seemed right to put "Heart's Delight" and Bleeding Hearts in a heart-shaped space!


No comments:

Post a Comment