Monday, September 17, 2018

Variegated Porcelain Berry Vine



It is very hard to capture the late summer beauty of this vine that I allow to grow (more than a little out of control) on my property and at Uncle J's. I even let it invade the rosa glauca where it entwines the branches with its variegated leaves and tiny flowers which the bees love--but alas the bee population is totally diminished in the area.

This enlarged and enhanced photo gives some notion of the range of colors of the berries that adorn this vine today--all the way to a peacocky turquoise. (Yes, peacocky is a word, at least on Words with Friends!)

And so I let this invasive vine have its way in my yard, ripping it down after frost or in the spring. And every berry that is not eaten potentially creates a new plant the next year (which pulls out easily).

No comments:

Post a Comment