Sunday, July 31, 2011

Casablanca Lily - Opening Day

Lilium 'casablanca'

Yesterday I noticed that my last oriental lily finally opened with one bloom. It has been over a month since the first asiatic lilies started the whole lilium show. The trumpets and longiflorums have ended their runs as well. This afternoon I took some photos. The Casablanca is a popular and fragrant lily that I'm sure will always be available. With all the hybridizing going on, some cultivars could eventually be supplanted by the new and improved, but it seems unlikely that Casablanca's desirablity on the horticultural stage will ever fade.

 I counted 12 buds (Frank claimed nearly two dozen blooms on one of his tall stalks a few years back) on my modest but expanding patch. Here is a bud caught in the opening act:

No comments:

Post a Comment