Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lilies of Late

It has been over a month since I began to photograph lilies. I still have a couple of lilies that are only in bud today on the 17th of July. The lilies that are in bloom now are highly fragrant and are probably oriental lilies. The Stargazer is a very common one and is used in floral shop bouquets. The hybrids like Orienpet (oriental & trumpet) or the LO which is an Easter lily and a trumpet (a nice mix!) are not as intoxicatingly potent as the orientals. The perfume of a highly fragrant lily will permeate the whole yard and cannot be safely used inside--old people especially will find the odor nearly takes their breath away! Here is  a beautiful pure white oriental lily taken at church, most likely 'Casa Blanca':


I found another tall, leaning, unstaked 'Casa Blanca' at Aunt V's :



I also saw many more blooming daylilies and I even know some of their names. This one is from my yard and I did a bit of editing:


I read once in a gardening magazine that an old man carefully covered his many daylily blooms with plastic bags when he sprinkled. He must have had nothing else to do. Now the so-called mush-mummies from dayliles are very slimy and unattractive, especially when wet, and do need to be removed if you want your daylily garden to look photo perfect. But a daylily is just that--a bloom for a day and to cover them for sprinkling is a bit ridiculous. The lily above seems to have survived a sprinkling quite nicely. Below, some daylilies at Aunt V's. El Desperado is most outstanding for its sheer number of buds!
 
 El Desperado

 Daylily 'Green Tarantula'

'Monster'

 There is nothing less attractive on a daylily than mush-mummies. Here is the last mushy mummy on my 'Peacock Maiden':


Here is the well known hybrid oriental, Stargazer, blooming at church:


At home in my shady garden I get a smaller bloom in an overgrown Monarda patch:


I could almost tolerate these lilies in the house for an afternoon:


Tongue Twister of the Day: Mummies munch much mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment